About Me

My photo
Plano, Texas, United States
The Book, The Burial, by R. Penman Smith is available through Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and directly from Tate Publishing. The Burial is a Spiritual Thriller with a dark twist and a redemptive outcome. The story springs out personal experience; ‘write what you know about’. Those who are comfortable with fantasy and are not afraid of the reality of the spiritual warfare inherent in Christian life will love this book.

Imagination is the faculty through which we discover the world around us, both the world we see, and that other unseen world that hovers on the fringe of sight. Love, joy and laughter, poetry and prose, are the gifts through which we approach that complex world. Through the gift of imagination we have stepped into an ever flowing river where the realm of Faerie touches Middle Earth.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Electrifying Moment When I Discovered Poetry

RADISH SO RED


Poetry. Either you get it, or you don’t. I was eight and waiting with dread in the dentist’s office. The dentist was a friend of the family, and in later years when I went to him in an emergency I discovered the reason for the dread. The man was rough! Ouch! A long sustained and very painful ouch. 

The advantage to this particular dentist’s office was a round table with a number of children’s books spread out, heaped up, and piled upon the table. In the midst of the pile was a book featuring Sir Giles and the Reluctant Dragon. I was enchanted by the tale of a little boy, my age, who struck up a friendship with a gentle and poetic dragon who lived in a cave above the town. 

The townsfolk, a savage and narrow minded lot, also discovered the dragon and called on the aging Sir Giles to deliver them from the dragon.  (Sir Giles in the story was actually a stand-in for St. George). 

I remember it this way: Sir Giles and I set off up the hill to find a resolution to this crisis. We three of course enjoy a fine picnic, cold chicken upon the grassy lawn before the dragon’s lair. As a child I often rejoiced to enter into a good story. I still do. Being an uncommitted bystander just isn’t very exciting, especially when waiting with dread in the dentist’s office.

A central problem arises. The dragon is a very gentle fellow, hard to anger, and can only puff out a little smoke. He explains it this way:

The Dragon: You've got to be mad to breathe fire, but I'm not mad at anybody.
Myself as the Boy: But try real hard. Concentrate.
[the dragon tries, but all he can muster is a puny smoke ring]
The Dragon: Not very good, is it?
Me: Nope. Too bad you're not a real dragon, instead of a punk poet.
The Dragon: [Angry] "Punk poet"?
[Now fire is coming out of his mouth]
The Dragon: Ooh, say that again.
Me: Punk poet.
The Dragon: Again.
Me: Punk poet.
The Dragon: Again.
Me: Punk poet.
The Dragon: [Delighted] Ooh, I'm mad! I'm mad! I'm mad!
Me: Punk poet! Punk poet! Punk poet!

Sir Giles, not to be outdone professes to be a bit of a bard himself. Then comes the electrifying moment, that magic moment when I discover poetry. Sir Giles begins to reach towards a dish of radishes on the picnic spread before him and intones his poem.

Radish so red
Radish so red
Plucked from the heart of your warm little bed
[He plucks a radish from the bowl and holds it up]
Sprinkle some salt on the top of your head
[He sprinkles some salt on the radish and eats it with loud crunching sound: crunch, crunch]
Delicious.

Now that’s the way I remember it, and I ought to know for I was there.


No comments: